Sunday, February 19, 2006

Northern Exposure Downunder

A year and a half ago, my husband took up a contract position in a mining town in the Northern Territory (NT). We thought it would be an exciting to do as a couple while we are still young and our son (I was 32wks pregnant when we arrived in town) is still in his pre-school years to travel Australia. Afterall, life is to be lived and experienced in its abundance.

What we thought would be for only a couple of years would now most probably extend for a bit longer. Well, that's the current plan anyway. We can but plan and leave the rest to God. With all that's happening in this world, it's best we learn to be open and prepared for change at anytime. Sydney though will always be home. We know that. It's the prettiest city to live in and no amount of people and stress is going to put us off going back to the place we will most probably always call home - on this earth anyway. Well, whether that might change in time is something we will yet to find out.


Meanwhile, we're here in the NT and there's much to be gained and experienced. I experienced my first 4WD on the sand as we drove along the beach watching spear-fishing by an aboriginal wise man - well he looked wise - old, with white hair but looked as fit as a fiddle. If you haven't experienced 4WD in the Top End, you haven't seen the Top End at all. The past-time here is fishing & camping. Swimming isn't a good idea in the Top End because of the salt-water crocodiles so it's a real shame.





Besides the ruggard beauty of its landscape and seascape and the vast open space, this town does have more to show me, a city girl. Town is only 5 mins drive (20mins walk) away from everybody and so is everything else 5 mins drive away or less. There's only 2 supermarkets (one of them is the size of a largish 711 in Sydney), and a few shops. For the die-hard shoppers, withdrawal symptoms is sure to be expected but most people wouldn't come to this town if there wasn't a travel allowance in the remuneration package. The facilities are good enough though. For instance there are tennis courts, a 50m swimming pool, kids pool, squash courts, gym, library, toy library, playgroup, childcare centre, pre-school, 2 primary schools, 1 secondary school, a limited University and a hospital. The next nearest town is about 800kms from here so this is it unless you want to drive on dirt road for a day. The power is very unpredictable though - which can be a real pain. The weather is tropical, usually around 30-33 deg celcius with humidity ready to drench you within 2 mins of walking on the street.

I have learnt that adaptation does happen, although not to the extent of Darwin's theory of evolution, I must add. But adaptation, resilience and strength evolves with time. For instance, for a year an a half, I spent most of my time in the aircon, if I can help it and I drove everywhere even if it was 2 mins walk away. I was getting really paranoid about cellulites and diabetes from lack of exercise. Then one day, something within me just clicked over like a clock, and I started walking my son in his pram in the mornings to go do my grocery shopping and have not found the heat nor the humidity a hindrance. What a relief!

Well, there's lots more about the town I'd like to share but that will have to wait for another post. Suffice to say that I am finding the simple life a refreshing experience and no doubt an important journey in my life.

3 comments:

Mother Superior said...

Oh, I really love your pictures. They look all that I say while I was in NT a decade back. But I was in Alice Springs, though. How are you copign with the hear apart from the morning walk for groceries?

I asked my husband if he would like to visit you in Darwin and he said, Huh? What's there? I can now tell him there are only two shopping centres and so I won't burn his pocket!!!

Write on, dear. So glad we can connect this way. God bless!

John14:6 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John14:6 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.