Thursday, May 11, 2006

"We Are A Moral Agent" - So What Does That Mean?

The surmon on Sunday was given by an elder and he spoke on "If a salt has lost it's saltiness, what good is it? Might as well throw it away" (Mum2One's paraphrased version of Matthew chapter 5, verse... can't remember). Our senior pastors are away for a few weeks. It was the first week I sat down and listened to almost the whole surmon without getting interrupted since I become a mum! Sometimes I think, it doesn't make any difference, because I get more frustrated by the sweeping statements and ignorance of the preacher.

I think the surmon was supposed to get everyone to return to their conscience and to start being accountable for our actions. It's supposed to make us get back on holiness and on the things of God. Sadly, for me, it came across as being critical of Psychology with sweeping accusations of what Psychology does and he seemed to have lost sight that whilst God has the highest standard when it comes to morality, NONE of us are spared of the ugliness of sin. That sinful nature shows up in our behaviour and character and our thoughts. Now, if we dismiss psychology, which is the study of the mind, or the soul (for those of us who believe in souls and that the soul and the mind are intertwined) then we dismiss the fall of Man, we do not understand human nature, and we are not able to accept who we really are, our curse and the process of sanctification.

Sure, conversion is instantaneously but sanctification is a lifelong process. If we interprete that verse according to how moral we are, then I think lots of us will be in the rubbish bin, discarded and unuseable. But if sanctification is a lifelong process, then surely some of us are more salty than others depending on how long we've started that process. I guess if I have to interprete that verse according to how it was preached today, I would say that even the most reduced salt agent cannot be discarded because he/she still bears some, even if very little, saltiness.

I find myself disagreeing with a many preachings. It's not that I don't agree that we should reflect on our 'lack-of's', strive for godliness and Christlike characters but more so with their lack of cohesiveness in their argument with reality and relevance. I'm learning not to react too much after hearing preachings like that but I need to blog this out so it's out of my system.

I hope I'm making sense because it's past midnight. I'm probably suffering from incohesiveness myself!!!

2 comments:

Richard said...

Our Sunday Gospel was Jesus the good shepherd (John 10:11-18).

Some people are very good at delivering a sermon. Some are not.

The verse you are referring to is Matt 5:13: You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything, but is thrown out and trampled under foot.

For me the interpretation is simple, we are called to be holy, and if we fail in that, then we shall be lost.

Churches are for sinners not saints, just as hospitals are for the sick, not the well.

In our study and understanding of the world we must take care not to deny the validity of creation. For me it is simply the golden rule, but it can also be restated as treat everyone with respect and dignity.

Knowledge is good (I actually hunger for it), as long as it is used to dignify not demean, to enhance our understanding, not to deny our faith.

John14:6 said...

Richard: Sorry it took me so long to publish this comment. Had one of those crazy week trying to get things done before I go away for 3 weeks! Yay!

On a more serious note, when you say, we are called to be holy, do you believe that's an implicit holiness through the works of Christ or is that holiness our own striving.

You see, I've got a problem with holiness attained through our own striving because I know I'll never be able to get there on my own striving. On the other hand, if it's a holiness that has been implicitly given me because of my faith in Christ, then I'm more comfortable with that.

However, I believe on working on change towards Christ likeness because it's a lifestyle I chose to adopt because of what Christ has done for me. But not because I think I'll lose my holiness or my salvation that Christ has already done for me.

Not sure if you're refering to my pride about the knowledge bit (perceived or not) or about the preacher's. I admit it's quite easy to fall into prideful criticisms but constructive criticisms are helpful... working on the right attitude and way of handling this.