Friday, July 28, 2006

Catching Up with the Wireless

Well, you might be thinking why I've been out of blogosphere for soooo long. While doing my tax return a couple of weeks ago, I decided that I should get a bit more techno savy with my systems at home. Up until now, I've been operating on a PC which is 3 years old and the speed, or rather the lack of it, was driving me crazy. I've been thinking for a long time to get myself a new laptop as my work computer and get a home network going. Then I also find my memory is failing me especially after having a child. So I've decided on getting myself a PDA, after all these years of relying only on Microsoft Outlook. The only problem is, I'm no IT geek. I only have a wishlist with a budget and there are no shops here I can walk into and ask informative questions.

So, I've been literally spending days and nights reading up on wireless technology, what is WIFI, how to set it up, what I need etc. Then I have to shop for them online. Reading all the specs on the different models and brands was more tiring than reading tax laws.

So, after all that work, I would like to share what I've decided to buy. If you've got any comments or experience with any of the items, please let me know your comments coz I would appreciate them.

1. PDA - Palm LifeDrive Manager
2. ACER Travelmate 5614 (17in screen for my movie buff husband for when we travel and all other features for my Accounting work & home office)
3. Dynalink DI-624S Wireless Router
4. Maxtor 300GB external Hard Drive for my back-ups

So, any comments?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gimme a buzz anytime if you run into a wall. Help will always be available from my side. Just holler.

Right now, the only thing I can think of is the secure your wireless signal from the rest of your neighbour. The calls for WEP encryption which is a feature available in your wireless router. Pretty simple but may need to walk through the setup with you.

John14:6 said...

Jaywalk, you're always a God sent in a time of need! Thank God for IT savy people like you! You'll definitely hear from me in the next week or so when I receive my router and laptop.

I got my LifeDrive yesterday and it took me a long time to work out why my touchscreen wasn't responding to my touces before I finally got on the net again for help only to learn about Hard Reset. The Palm doesn't come with a booklet instruction manual & I'm used to going to booklet manuals first. Talk about catching up with technology...

peaprincess said...

sorry. I'm prob more technologically challenged than you dear. My PC is 5 yrs old! If you did that much research, I'm sure you're on the right path!

Richard said...

I don't trust WIFI - beaming my data out for anyone to sniff is not something I am keen on.

Your computer doesn't sound old. Mine was 6 years old before it passed on recently and was replaced (I was hoping to go another 2-3 years more with it).

I do have a laptop as well - small, only a 12 inch screen. I am disappointed with the harddrive performance, anything that accesses the hard drive is much more sluggish (not surprising since laptop harddrives are slower).

Although, their portability is very nice.

As for a PDA ... I thought about it a while ago, but decided against it. I am not a very organized man - I don't make lists. I just keep everything in my head (and I mean everything: phone numbers, e-mail addresses, passwords, birthdays, etc). If I forget, well ... I forget.

Computers have not progressed that much over the past 5-6 years (they have barely doubled in speed - when they should be about 8 times faster: 8Ghz or better).

I still have to do my taxes, they are late (5 months and counting). I would like to get them done before the governement sends me a reminder (they always send one polite one and then a sterner one a month later).

John14:6 said...

My current PC (3 yrs old) is only a cheapie-it's only got a celeron processor, no USB 2 plugs, no DVD recorder, just CD and when I have 6 different applications or more open at one time (which is all the time), it runs so slowly. Switching from one application to another sometimes takes about 5-10 seconds. Maybe I'm getting more impatient coz I have less time but I doubt it coz my husband complaimts about the speed all the time.

The new ACER travelmate notebook, yes although slower than the newer PCs these days, is a 2GHz Duo Centrino processor. It's got 1GB RAM. So I'm hoping that will be much speedier than my 64MB RAM.

And it's got 4 USB2 plugs.

I've heard about the security issues with WIFI. I'm hoping Jay would give me a hand with securing the network. I'm thinking, the convenience of it may outweigh the security hassle? Will let you know how I go.

I'm still waiting for the notebook, external HD and router to arrive. It's taking forever. That's the downside of living in a remote location.

Richard said...

Well, if your old machine had only 64Mb of RAM, you could improve its performance significantly by upgrading to 512Mb.

My old computer was a 1Ghz Athlon with 512Mb of RAM. My laptop is a 1.4Ghz Athlon with 768Mb of RAM and the new desktop is a 2.2Ghz dual core Athlon.

Believe me, having dual cores is worth it. The computer is significantly more responsive.

John14:6 said...

BTW, Richard, there's an incentive in doing tax returns when you know you're going to get money back... that's the case with ours :o)

Is the Athlon faster than a Celeron? Pardon my ignorance. I should check on the net but that'll take some more time...