Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Yum Cha Tea Ritual


Since coming back from our holidays I've been find it hard to find time to blog. Why so busy? I notice something is different. Can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe my husband and I have been spending more time together since we got back because that's what we did for 3weeks. We seem to have bonded a little closer in the 3 weeks, and the holiday's got us into a routine of spending quality time together as we found a new interest in tea ritual. What's that? Here's a picture of our tea set bought from Hong Kong and my current favourite tea - Blossom Jasmine (picture above).

The Blossom Jasmine (or the Snowball Jasmine) is Oolong tea intricately woven into a ball with Jasmine and Crysanthemum in the centre. The ball then opens up into a flower in the teapot as seen above. Not only is it pretty, but it is also a very nice sweet smelling tea. Definitely by far, my favourite tea.

Below is the tea set we bought from Lama Island in Hong Kong from Chin Yip Tea Shop. A shop that's just newly opened and owned by 2 young brothers. We just wanted to experience 'Yum Cha' when we went in and the whole experience was so pleasant we bought a set home. Lama Island is a quaint little island about half an hour from Central HK by Ferry and there are no cars in Lama Island. One third of the population of about 5000 are expatriats so in a middle of a very chinese row of shops along the jetti, you get a very English pub. There is also a great variety of restaurants from Seafood to Thai and Indian food in that same row.


We've been doing a bit of Yum Cha since we got home. That means less time for blogging since work and other household administrative stuff still have to be done. I wish there were more time in a day, and I've got more energy to last longer than 18 hours a day. Imagine if we don't have to sleep, wouldn't we get a lot more time at hand?

There is a lot I'd like to write about but I don't have the time and energy lately to enter into any deep and meaningful at length. So till the next hopefully interesting post!

12 comments:

Richard said...

Enjoying time together is much more important than blogging.

Tea has not been a part of my life for probably 20 years or so.

When I was younger I used to drink tea daily with my mother.

Finding balance in life is difficult, if you are able to, then good for you - it is very important.

Mother Superior said...

I think I know why you're spending more time with Hubs. It's the World Cup, mate! Congrats to Australia for getting into the next round! I don't believe it myself.

At the last World Cup, coach Guus Hiddink brought South Korea to new heights and the Koreans had a banner at the Stadium that said, "Hiddink for President".

Maybe the Ozzies should make him President too, eh? Out with Howard, in with Hiddink!!! :-)

John14:6 said...

Richard, yes my motto and aim in life is to have balance.

Tea ritual is a new thing for us. Tea for me used to be just tea bags and I wouldn't even bother with the plunger and leaves. But now, it's quite a different story...

My little boy loves tea too but apparently it's not good for their iron absorption so I'm trying hard to refrain him from joining in... not often succesful though.

John14:6 said...

Mother Superior: Were you up at 3am to watch the game too? It was so nerve wrecking! We woke up to watch it live. Yes, that Guus Hiddink guy is quite a genius. Too bad we're losing him to Russia after the World Cup though.

I love Howard and I wouldn't replace him for any Sport! Since Spore is not in the World Cup, you must really watch it for the love of the sport?!

I still can't understand how all the sport commentators said we did better than Brazil when we loss to them 2-0. That's where I don't have the depth of appreciation for the skill of the sport! I'm like... but we loss, so how can we call ourselves the better team for that match?!

Richard said...

I started drinking tea when I was quite young.

As long as the tea is not in close proximity to food containing iron, then there should be no problem (it is the tannins in tea that bind with the iron, preventing it from being absorbed).

There is a similar problem with iron and calcium interfering with each others absorption.

peaprincess said...

So amazing the whole rest of the world is nuts abt the world cup. Virtually no talk abt it here in STL. Funny eh?

Quality time together is so important. T & I rush fm one thing to the next, b/f we know it we're in bed for the nite exhausted.

John14:6 said...

I take it you haven't had iron problems then? *Sigh of relief*. Thanks for easing my guilt. My health friends reckons it's a no-no to give young children tea coz of that. Maybe it's the quantity that we should be watching out for.

John14:6 said...

I think it's one of those things that if you don't make time for it, you'll almost be sure it won't happen.

Try making some quality time this weekend!

BTW Soccer used to be like that here in Aust until we got in the World Cup this year. All of a sudden, my husband who used to profess that he's not into soccer is waking up wee hours in the morning to watch it and mua here gets up with him! Crazy!

Richard said...

No, there are no iron deficiency problems with me. There are with my mother, she does not possess the ability to absorb Vitamin B-12 from the intestinal tract (she needs injections). So is was for a very long time anemic.

My principle concern with tea would be the caffeine - who needs a hyper kid wired even more?

John14:6 said...

Yes, caffeine is another thing. Actually, there's something bad in everything if consume them in high doses so I suppose everything in moderation sounds like a motto for me. Otherwise, life would be like walking on egg shells.

Mother Superior said...

Actually, I read in the Old Testament that meat and milk don't mix. I have to get the verse for evidence. Interesting, isn't it? There goes any cream stuff with meat, like mushroom sauce on steaks.

Still, the evidence is impt.

John14:6 said...

MS: Maybe Fit For Life book might have something on that (for evidence) if you're interested to read the book. I read it ages ago (more than 10 yrs ago) and can hardly remember what you shouldn't do now. But one of the things were to take fruits on an empty stomach contrary to what most people believe - ie. have fruits for dessert after a meal. Reasoning: The fruit which digests a lot more easily than meat etc will therefore ferment on top of the other food that take longer to digest, and the nutrients will not be absorbed as it would taken with an empty stomach!