Saturday, March 11, 2006

God of Big and Small Things

I know God comes up a bit in my posts and it's OK if you're a non-believer who finds this worldview irrelevant. The thing is, God is not irrelevant.

Our 4WD wouldn't start on Wednesday night. The way things are in this town, everything is scarce, except for the minerals they are mining up here! So, from getting the car to be towed to the workshop to getting the starter motor replaced was by no means a quick and easy job.

It took us until Friday before we finally found someone to come look at the car, only to be told they are fully booked till April and they don't expect it to be ready at the earliest next Wednesday. Anyway, after giving up on finding an alternative, I gave in and accepted that I won't have a car for almost a week. I was Ok with walking but that means I have to be very organised about my comings and goings. Forgetting something means I would have to allow another 40mins of walking to and fro town. However, it was going to be better for me to give in to the situation then fight it. So, I said to God, "it's in your hands" and mentally prepared myself. I felt at peace about the whole thing knowing that God is in control of the bigger picture whatever the outcome, and I will be OK.

Unexpectedly the next morning, we got a call that our car was ready to be picked up! Now, to me, that's my God looking after me. Some may wish to view this as nothing but good luck. Well, that's a bit too airy fairy for me. What constitutes good luck? Some spiritual force? Some karma? Why is it so hard for us to accept that the God of big things, one who created this universe, is also God of the small things in our lives? This is the same God, Jesus Christ, who died for us because He loved us so. Yet, this is the biggest stumbling block to many of us receiving an inner peace and joy - a stress free life.

No comments: