Friday, March 31, 2006

Parenting Joy

I was on my way to the post office and the supermarket for a few things just before lunch today with Ky in his usual car seat going about his usual self, chattering away in gibberish. As I turned into the town carpark, he started throwing what I thought was a tantrum for no rhyme or reason.

I noticed that he's been doing the same thing at the same turn for the past couple of days. I didn't think much of it the first few times it had happened but by today, I was getting a bit puzzled. So I studied him to try and see what he was trying to convey and he seemed to be pointing at the other direction as though to say that I shouldn't have made the turn into the carpark. So I went out of the carpark and went round the same way again. Instead of turning into the carpark this time, I went ahead. Within a few seconds his face lit up and there was a gleeful laughter. I couldn't believe the difference in reaction. As I reached the end of the street and turned right where the pool is, he started pointing to the pool in delight saying, "pool! pool!".

I was dumb founded. My 17 months old baby actually knows the way to the pool! He's been pretty good to ask for things by pointing to me up to this stage. I just didn't expect him to know road directions at this age.

When I finished my errands, I put him back in the carseat (we parked on the pool street instead of the carpark) to come home for his lunch and afternoon nap. He protested again looking earnestly at the pool and calling out, "water! water! pool!". So I made a promise that we will return later after his afternoon nap for a swim. I kept to my promise and he's a happy chappy.

I am glad I took the time to listen to what he's saying. I was surprised by what he could communicate to me and how much he knew. So he continues to surprise me with what he can do each day. The excitement of being a parent!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness it's only the pool.

I would have gone bonkers if it were the dreaded "McDonalds".

John14:6 said...

Thank goodness there's no fastfoods here!!! Haha... otherwise I'll go nuts too!

I wonder if you offer the goldern archers as the normal meal and make the good food the bribe, whether that will make them ask for the good food because it's the 'forbidden apple'??? I got the idea coz I read somewhere that said dessert should be offered like a normal food in the child's meal so it's not seen as the 'forbidden apple'. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

I think McD is the epitome of evil. :P

If you offer Golden Arches as normal meal, I think we will live longer than our kids!

John14:6 said...

But but but... they have salads and lower fat burgers with nutrition values all stated on their packaging these days. Do they have that in Spore, HK and Shenzhen now? They had to get with the health trend or go extinct I think.

Mother Superior said...

Yes, they do have the yoghurt "Berrynice" and salads. But the culture is still not of eating raw vegetables. Sigh...

Ky is soooooooo clever. Looks like he's gonna be a sporty kid in future. Another Ian Thorpe???

John14:6 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John14:6 said...

Big S, Ian Thorpe has be Ian Thorpe. My boy has to be my boy... whatever that will be. Whatever it is, we will be just as proud of him! But with his daddy being a sporty type person, he's got a good chance that he won't be un-coordinated like me! lol!

I think McD had to undo what the Supersize movie did to their reputation, thus the aggressive move towards a healthier image.