Thursday, March 16, 2006

Simplicity and Strength

The one thing I really like about being in this small town is the simplicity of life. Things don't get very complicated here and there aren't a lot of choices so decisions are straightforward. Like we don't have to think about where to eat out - there are only 2 cafes (one is airconditioned and the other is not), 3 decent restaurants and 4 takeaway joints we can go. Only one butcher, one newsagency and two supermarkets (one is a lot more expensive than the other so that leaves one supermarket to go usually!).

So I find it a lot better and easier to have a set routine everyday of the week. There's a rhythm to my days. I learn to be more creative - in my cooking and in my activities with Ky. I also learn to relate better with people and to build relationships with people without having to go out. Like we will be content visiting each other for coffees and snacks while the kids play in the pool or their slides in the backyard. My husband and I spend a lot more time talking because there's no movies (that's not true, we have video shops and a school hall type theatre) to go to. We don't feel like we're missing out on things because there's nothing much to miss out on here.

We don't have in-laws to help out. However that also means that we don't have the intrusion of in-laws in the way we run our household and inevitably having a significant influence on our child's upbringing. We have to be a self-reliant family unit and to learn to accept support from as well as give support to friends and neighbours. In many ways we miss the support that we could have with family closed-by, but the other side of the coin is that we learn the tools to thrive and succeed without those family supports.

So hopefully we will have under our belt an attitude of simplicity and strength to take with us when we leave go back to huge, busy, bustling Sydney. We would have worked out our strengths and weaknesses as a young family and be better armed. We would have some sort of healthy family structure and firm foundations in place that when distractions come we will be able to draw weapons from the simply way of life to stand strong as a family.

Afterall, how much do we really need in life? Not that we isolate ourselves and be a hermit but there are so much in life that we can do without and still have our happiness intact. It's a matter of perception and attitude.

4 comments:

Mother Superior said...

You're so right on this, Mid S. In fact, much of issues lies in too much choice.

For example, quite often lately, when one is invited for a gathering, the answer is usually, "OK, see first". That person will then evaluate other choices he has on that evening, and somehow, will not turn up for the gathering because of other 'more exciting' choices. It's one thing to have free will, but another to be responsible to one's word.

Simplicity is the key and can elimnate a nation of folks who are double-minded with too many choices on too many things.

Hope I'm relevant in my example.

John14:6 said...

Big S, I agree with you that too many choices and being double-minded are the causes of many of our issues today. I wonder if this is a problem of our generation or has it always been around?

domestic rat said...

Reading your blog makes me realise how fortunate I am right now; at least I have dvds to keep me company! But really, your resilience is admirable.

John14:6 said...

Hi domestic rat! Thank you for the comment. We do have 2 video shops here just no nice cinema - there's a weekly viewing of a new movie per week at a school hall kind of theatre.

RESILIENCE - I think that's a very crucial tool in life. I'm sure domestic rats know all about that. BTW, nice view from your new place!