Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Cyclone Monica

Cyclone Monica is coming our way. We are being warned to be prepared for a cyclone in the next 48-72 hours. I heard at the playground today a mum mentioned that the barge that brings our twice a week supply of grocery has been told to turn back due to the cyclone. So, I can imagine the supermarket shelves depleted tomorrow when I get there in the afternoon as I have to facilitate a mother's group in the morning. Hmmm... maybe I should try and get there before the group meeting but that would mean waking up at an unearthly hour to get Ky ready.

Then there's the probability that the power will be off again for days due to cyclone damages so I'd better also go get a generator so this time we can keep the fridges running. Maybe I should also consider buying a clothes dryer (it usually pours for days after a cyclone) and stock up on the batteries and candles... what else should I do? Oh yes, get some important papers together so if we have to evacuate to the hospital for cyclone shelter, and if we do come home to a wreck, I have my insurance papers and passports, etc. Hmmm... I'd better back-up my hard drive too.

Anything else I should do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, that's sounds pretty bad.

Please take care ok? Also do let us know that everyone's ok when the cyclone passes through.

Hmm... it may be interesting to see the aftermath of the twister. Take pictures?

John14:6 said...

The latest news is that Monica is still heading our way but expecting her to hit on Saturday morning - around 10am, the last I heard from a wife of a policeman.

Had a damage control (St John's) people at our front door today warning of Monica (in case we haven't heard from the TV or radio or someone else) and that we had to clear our yard in preparation for it. He said, "by the looks of it, you've already done so". Actually, our yard unlike most others around is usually quite empty and uncluttered.

We've just put up some shades last weekend and I was starting to make the backyard an entertainment area for kids and adults (BBQ) but had to take it down again today and scrap all plans for buying outdoor furniture... *Sigh* just when I was getting motivated to do up our yard a bit this happens.

Anyway, we will be taking shelter at the hospital where hubs works so we should be quite safe. Will take photos and blog about it after! That should be interesting!

Anonymous said...

Eh, I am worried for you guys.

Please keep us posted. Ok!